Pinner West End Lawn Tennis Club

A brief history of West End Lawn Tennis Club

The West End Lawn Tennis Club was founded at a meeting held on the 11th May 1910 convened by Mr JE Henderson, an Estate Agent acting on behalf of Mr AW Marshall of the Towers, Pinner, the big Estate, now Lloyd Court, just off West End Lane.

The original Club consisted of two grass courts situated on land between West End Avenue and Meadow Road. In 1912 Mr Marshall built an attractive little Pavilion for the Club and this was followed in 1914 by the provision of a hard court to the rear of this Pavilion. In the early years, several of the Club´s tennis finals were played on the private grass court at The Towers on the invitation of Mr & Mrs Marshall.

WW1

The Club survived the First World War, grew and prospered and in 1921 the members themselves laid a second hard court beside the first. In 1926, the officers of the Club became anxious that the land would be used for building development so a new sight was sought. In 1927, the builders, W A Telling, were erecting houses in and around Cockoo Hill Road and they were interested in providing amenities in the area to attract buyers for their houses. After much heart searching and negotiation it was agreed that W A Telling should lay down three En Tout Cas courts and three grass courts together with a Pavilion on a lease. So West End LTC came to Cuckoo Hill Road in 1928. The grass courts however proved unsatisfactory and these were converted to hard courts in 1929.

After the Second World War the leaseholder and original builder were approached by the Club to purchase the land so the Club could stay in Cuckoo Hill Road. A figure of £1,500 was agreed and included the sale of six courts, the pavilion and the ground behind the pavilion fronting on Cuckoo Hill Road and the car park beside the Club.

Middlesex Cup

The Club continued to grow and with it the achievements in competitive tennis. One of the highlights was in 1978 when the Ladies 1st Team at West End Lane won the Middlesex Cup and was presented the winners trophy by Bjorn Borg.

In 1983 the three top courts were resurfaced with artificial grass using the original en tout cas as a base. On the 80th Anniversary of the Club a new superior carpet surface was laid on a proper tarmac base.

Present times

The Club remains extremely popular. In both the Adult and Junior sections the tennis is thriving with opportunities for both social and competitive tennis. The Club continues to have varied programmes of social events throughout each year and held several special events in 2010 to mark the Clubs centenary.

The Club holds Open Days every year to welcome prospective new members to try the facilities and sign up for membership. These are generally held in April and June with a variety of activities for Juniors as well as opportunities for adults to play and test their standards against established Club players or simply to try tennis for the very first time.

Pinner West End Lawn Tennis Club is a vibrant Club and the friendly atmosphere continues to be an attraction for local residents after more than a century in Pinner.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Winter Floodlight League

The two bottom fully floodlit courts will be used for matches in the LTA 2018/19 Winter Floodlight League - Mens Doubles Division 5. Courts will be used on these dates, 6.45pm - 9pm

24/01/2019 vs Pinner 2
15/02/2019 vs Vagabonds 2
07/03/2019 vs Hillingdon Community 2

Contact Us

West End Lawn Tennis Club
Cuckoo Hill Road
Pinner
Middlesex
HA5 1AY

Website : beachshore